Friday, October 06, 2006

Know Your Audience

This is the teenie beanie baby that Shiloh gave to me yesterday during my kindergarten adventure. As promised, I returned this token of appreciation to her this morning. Not wanting to hurt her feelings by giving it back, I made sure to attach a small note to Liberty Bear (or Libearty, if you prefer) that her regular teacher could read to her to let her know why it's best that she keep the toy herself.

Much as I have with any academic paper I've written, I struggled to choose the words that would best convey my thoughts to my target audience. Even though this note fit on a 2" x 2.5" piece of paper, it went through about five drafts before I felt confident I was using the kind of language a girl her age could buy into and understand. It appears I was successful. I saw Shiloh in the hallway after her class' lunch period today, and she still liked me enough to say, "Hello, Mr. Scott!" at least three times.

So without further ado, here is the note that Dave Scott, 24 year-old theologian-in-training, wrote to Miss Shiloh Ruby, 5 year-old kindergarten student:



Dear Shiloh,

Thank you for giving me Liberty Bear yesterday. It was very kind of you to do so. But I think it would be best if you take him home with you today. After spending the night at my house, Liberty Bear missed you and wanted to go back to your house. I enjoyed borrowing him for a little while, but he belongs with you.

Thank you for making my day as your guest teacher so special. :) Have a good weekend!

-Mr. Scott

2 comments:

IndyRider said...

The educational world needs more guest teachers who take their responsibilities so seriously. I had no doubt that you would, but I am still glad to see it come to fruition.

Anonymous said...

awww...*sniffle*

seriously, though, that was one of the classiest things I've heard of in a long time. Way to go, Dave.