Sunday, January 07, 2007

How I've Kept Busy This Weekend


The Colts won their first (of what I hope are several) game yesterday. The defense played out of their freakin' minds, holding an elite running back to only 35 yards and tackling Chiefs players with the thunderous power of the hammer of Thor. I also spent a large chunk of today viewing two other NFL Wild Card games. The Giants-Eagles game was highly entertaining, even if it was marked by sloppy play.





That's right! MK3, Baby! This is probably my favorite video game of all time. Like any other video game, I wasn't very good at it, but I loved to play it. Only the NBA Live franchise can rival Mortal Kombat as my favorite series.


Last Friday afternoon, I finally gave into an itch I had almost the entire break: Dig my Sega Genesis out of the closet and relive some of my childhood/early teenage years. I took my Genesis and a few games over to Nick Tranbarger's house, and the two of us stayed up past 1am playing Ultimate MK3 and NBA Tournament Edition. Then I spent a few hours at my own home on Saturday playing regular-ass Mortal Kombat 3 by myself. I still struggle to win a fight in the easiest tournament on the easiest difficulty setting, but I truly enjoy the Kombat experience nonetheless. (My suckiness has much to do with the fact that I still fail to properly utilize the block button.) The gaming action was so intense that my joystick thumb remains tender at this very moment.




I received the book Cell by Stephen King for Christmas this year. This book is the author's creative new approach to the zombie tale. Whereas George Romero's films envisioned an apocalyptic world where the reanimated dead attack and feed upon the living, King offers a tale where the mental software of most the world's population is instantaneously wiped clean by a mysterious Pulse that is mediated primarily through cellular telephones, allowing the victims' most base and savage impulses to run unchecked.


I'm now about 2/3 of the way in and business is really starting pick up. Because King is so widely read by such a pop-minded audience, his skill and understanding of his craft are often overlooked or at least undervalued. But the dude has a mad ability to draw you into his invented scenarios because he shoots these worlds chock full of versimilitude. King is one of the few writers I have read who can create a disturbing atmosphere that unsettles even my horror-saturated psyche. It's not the gore, the violence or the surprises that get me...it's the mood pure and simple. What I read rarely unsettles me, even when King is involved. But what I read in Cell at 1:30 this morning left me ever-so-spooked. What he describes circa page 200 would likely never happen (let's hope so anyway) but this particular incident got under my skin more than just a little bit. (King did the same thing to me this summer with the short story "Gramma," which is part of his Skeleton Crew collection.) I'm diving right back into Cell as soon as I publish this post.


I slept until NOON today! I honestly can't tell you the last time I did that. Fortunately, the bed was not on fire. Don't worry, God-fearers...I will be back in church next Sunday morning. If not, I'm sure your Lord bring the above fate down upon my unrepentant head.
And that covers the highlights of my weekends. Tomorrow I will finish up my U of Denver/Iliff SOT dossier and express mail those materials to the proper address.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ya know...in this day of 360, PS3, and other supercomputer gaming systems, a person just needs to play some old school games once in a while. I'm sure that was some real fun digging out the old system. I still play Mario 1-3, MegaMan and the original Zelda from time to time. Good times!

Speaking of the Hammer of Thor sighting Saturday afternoon, that was the most fun I've had watching a Colts game since Dungy arrived. Hopefully this wasn't an anomaly and having a healthy, angry defense with guys in their appropriate positions will continue.

Anonymous said...

p.s. wwe.com says Trips ruptured another quad tendon last night at the PPV. This time it was in the right leg. He has a curse!