Monday, March 19, 2007

More Ph.D. News

This afternoon I finally received my letter from the Graduate Department of Religion at Vanderbilt. Unfortunately, it was full of condolances rather than congratulations. Towards the end of the letter, there was a statment to the effect that "Due to the great increase in the number of applications we received this year, we have had to deny admission to many well-qualified applicants." My consolation prize is that I am such an applicant.

Of course, I'm disappointed about this. Yet, given the fact that my top choice just shot me down, I'm surprisingly mellow. I haven't felt the temptation to cry, to smash things, or even to feel sorry for myself. I have felt a few pangs of anxiety since I realized that my academic future now rests with Denver and how much financial aid UD/Iliff is willing to offer me. Irrespective of those concerns, being rejected by Vanderbilt does narrow my immediate future down to two general trajectories:

1) I will be moving many, many miles westward and living there for 4 to 7 years.

2) I will face the even scarier situation of either a) going back to the drawing board with my theological career in order plan out how to improve my stock as a Ph.D. hopeful or b) seriously considering my options for an alternative career.

I could say more right now but I feel I should allow more time for the whole situation to sink in.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sorry to hear about Vandy...guess we'll need to be fitted for skis.
Despite this, things will work out...or The Doost will make them an offer they can't refuse.