Thursday, March 08, 2007

I Received a Letter Today

It went something like this:

Dear David, [So given the greeting alone you know it's either an official document or a note from my Grandma.]

I am delighted to inform you that you have been accepted for admission to the Theology, Philosophy and Cultural Theory concentration of the Joint Ph.D. Program in Religious and Theological Studies offered by the University of Denver and the Iliff School of Theology. Congratulations on this achievement! You may begin your studies in the Fall 2007 quarter.
...
We are now beginning to make our financial aid decisions for next year. My goal is to inform you and the other newly admitted applicants of our financial aid offers by no later than March 31, 2007.

We hope that you will be able to accept this invitation to admission...We need to receive your final response to our invitation by April 30, 2007. I look forward to hearing from you and hope to welcome you into the Joint Ph.D. Program this Fall.

Frank Seeburger
Director



One down, one to go. I hope the Graduate Department of Religion at Vanderbilt University will send me a very similar letter in the near future. I would like to throw a very sincere "Thank you, Jesus!" heaven-ward. Someone traditionally considered to be the brother of Jesus once wrote that every good and perfect gift comes down to us from on high. Seeing as I regard this invitation as an exceedingly good blessing, I want to acknowledge its ultimate source as the God with whom I share an intimiate, if not always amicable, relationship.

And, Nick, if you have any wooden shoes left in your arsenal, it looks like you'll have to lob them at the department of financial aid. Apparently the Denver admissions machine is "sabot proof."

7 comments:

Beth said...

Hoorayyyyyyyy!!!!!!
That rocks. But you are a wizard and of course they want you to attend their academic institution.
I especially appreciate that they call it an "invitation."
Congratulations, Dave Scott.

Erin said...

Yay for you! So glad you've gotten your first official invite. As an aside, did you ever know Joel LeMon? He's now on the faculty at Emory. I say that only to tell you that in a few years you might be on faculty at Iliff. And that would be cool because you'd be following in the footsteps of the great David Petersen and Teresa Fry-Brown!

Besides, Iliff would be a grat place to visit! :)

I echo Beth: Congratulations!!

Erin said...

"That was about as effective damage as you could have done running from that short of a distance and given the disparity in our relative masses."

This made me laugh out loud.

Dana B said...

Congratulations, Dave Scott! As sad as the blogosphere will be without your substitute teacher stories, I know you will be quite happy to be studying theology once again.

Anonymous said...

Way to go Dave! I'm sure it's a load off to know that things are going in a positive direction.

Anonymous said...

Those godless infidels in financial aid had better come through!!!

In all seriousness, you have my love wherever you choose to go. The Smokies or the Rockies, my bike would love to travel over either.

Marie said...

Ben and I both congratulate you on the acceptance letter. Ben says he hopes you can bust some kneecaps where ever you go. (I have no idea what that means.) The kids are sure going to miss you though!