Tuesday, November 21, 2006

A Quick Follow Up

Behold the leg kick that spelled the end for Matt Hughes's second title reign. I can only hope that it did not also signal the end of his ability to compete at an elite level.



Dustin, thank you for your comment on my last post. You're very right- One significant loss cannot undo the astounding career that preceded it. Matt's a NINE-TIME UFC Champion! (He would be an 11-time champion if Joe Riggs and Royce Gracie would have made the cut down to 170 lbs.)

To give some perspective on how truly significant it is to be a 9-time champeen, consider the following trivia: Randy Couture won a strap 6 times (or 7 if you're the type that recognizes interim titles); Tito Ortiz won 6; Frank Shamrock, Pat Miletich, and Tim Sylvia tie with 5; and Chuck Liddell has won 4 thus far. If Hughes is ultimately able to reclaim the welterweight crown, he'll add another stellar achievement to his resume by becoming the first fighter in UFC history to win the same title three times.

The now former champ is already eager to get back on the road to glory. Here's what Matt himself said today (See www.matt-hughes.com):



First off, I'd like to say that Georges fought a heck of a fight. He's a nice guy and a well-rounded fighter and he's going to be tough to beat. Number two, I'd like to thank everybody for all their support and I've already talked to the UFC about getting a rematch sometime and they said that's fine. I don't know when that will be or if I will fight anyone before that, but I anxiously await a rematch with Georges because I just think I can do so much better.

Going into the fight I felt very confident. Even up to the point where I lost, I really felt God was going to have me win that fight, but it wasn't His plan. I always pray that God's will is done before a fight and, as long as that's done, I'm happy and I'll definitely fight again. Even with a loss, I can't be anything but thankful for all that God has done in my life.

For those who might be worried about me, I'm fine. I've got some color to my face - a black eye and a few scabs and bruises; but this is not one of those things where I have to go out and 'redeem myself' so I can look myself in the mirror. I just got beat by a guy who was better than me that night and I can live with that. So, physically and mentally, I'm fine.



I have so much respect for this man. Even though some fighters and fans consider him to be arrogant, statements like this one reveal that Matt can also be quite humble. Even if we should learn that his best days as a competitor are indeed behind him, I'll never jump off his bandwagon.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Could this be the great trilogy in UFC? I say if they meet "one last time" UFC should bill it as the great trilogy.
Unfortunately, neither fighter is a big "personality" and since they are such "nice guys" the attraction of a good vs. evil or something like that isn't as great. But as far as just straight up fighting...it would be nice to see a war to settle the score.

Erin said...

To hell with his ability to compete! I hope it didn't end his ability to walk. Note to self: avoid all neck-kicking men; they're dangerous.

I had a funny story to tell you tonight and thought about calling but then (to be honest) forgot in the haste of laundry/packing/fatigue. Perhaps I'll remember on the drive home tomorrow. Here's hoping I don't hit a deer!

Dave Scott said...

Erin,
You may be interested to know that Matt had regained his senses only minutes after receiving that kick (and the punches and elbows that followed). He even gave a cogent interview immediately following the fight. As for the phone call, go ahead and call me up late afternoon/early evening. I'd love to hear your funny story.


Doost,
I can pretty much guarantee you that there will be a Hughes-GSP III. The UFC has already learned from boxing that a high profile trilogy is a big money maker, and Dana White is always looking to make his coin multiply.

The organization's first real trilogy was between Chuck Liddell and Randy Couture. This was nowhere close to being a "good vs. evil" series either, but it was highly compelling nonetheless. Unfortunately for my boy "The Natural," "The Iceman" won bouts two and three convincingly.

The UFC's marketing team recently worked exceedingly hard to convince fight fans that the Ortiz-Shamrock series was an epic trilogy. Ken and Tito may have fought three times, but this was certainly no trilogy. Ken Shamrock never even came close to winning one of those fights.

No real competition + no real chance one fighter might win = no real trilogy