Tuesday, September 19, 2006

"The kingdom of the madness is split in two!"

[Note: The historical veracity of the following narrative is presently in dispute (See Comments). The most likely reason for any discrepancies is the fact that Dave Scott is an idiot. Whatever untruth this post may contain, its essential point remains valid: The Macho Man is responsible for introducing the phrase "the kingdom of the madness" into my vocabulary.]
"Macho Man" Randy Savage uttered this phrase (or something very much like it) in his post-match interview at WrestleMania VIII. He had just won the title from Ric Flair, and his excitement level was astronomically high...even for Randy Savage.


His ever-thinning black hair frizzed all around his frantic face. His eyes, so often shielded by his gaudy sunglasses, then bulged wildly from their sockets. And his trademark hand gestures had become so spastic and animated you would have thought old Macho had been stricken with cerebral palsy. But in the midst of all this physical craziness the most strikingly absurd aspect of Randy Savage during that promo was his speech. Two fellow wrestling aficionados, Dustin Lafferty and Dave Winters, have discussed this interview with me several times. We all agree that this is the Macho Man at his most incoherent.




Indeed, Savage's gibberish has always amused me. His idiosyncratic delivery has produced a plethora of memorable utterances. (A marriage proposal has never sounded so absurd.) But the above quotation remains the one that has made the deepest impression on me. Whenever I'm in a situation where things have become confusing or hectic, I'm quick to think of my present environment as "The Kingdom of the Madness."

I still have no idea how exactly the kingdom had been "split in two" on that April night 14 years ago. But I still owe a hearty thanks to the Macho Man for coining the phrase that is now the title of my blog. Ooooooh YeeUH!!!

3 comments:

Erin said...

glad to see you've joined the ranks of blogdom! Welcome to the crew. SO far, so good.

Now to get you on myspace.

Anonymous said...

hang on a sec...wasn't it WM VII when the Kingdom was split? After losing to Warrior and being attacked by Queen Sherry (sp?). Miss Liz came to his aid and they had their *sniffle* reconciliation. After that he talked about not knowing whether to be sad or glad or angry or blah blah. Then he exclaimed that the kingdom of the madness has been split in two.

Dave Scott said...

"I'll...be...damned!"

Anytime we're talking about wrestling history prior to WrestleMania IX, I have to bow to your superior knowledge, Doost. You're the man with the extensive 'Mania collection. So if you think the phrase was coined at WM VII, that's most likely what actually happened.

What leaves that extra bit of egg on my face is the fact that, in my post, I claim to have discussed this event with you several times. I'm only two posts into this blog and I've already demonstrated that my word is not to be trusted. May God have mercy on my soul.