Wednesday, September 27, 2006

B.S.F.

For years now, my aunt Susan has attended the meetings of Bible Study Fellowship- a church program that regularly brings Christian women together to- you guessed it -study the Bible. Quite reasonably, this program is often referred by the acronym BSF. When I was a young sprat, around junior high/early high school age, I took it upon myself to tease Susan by sharing my own suggestions for what BSF "actually" stood for. Though I came up with many, there are only three that have survived the ravages of time:

Bob's Silly Ferret
Butt Smells Funny (my original creation)

...and the less likely to offend...

Big Square Feet


This fall is the first time since I graduated high school that I have been living at home during this particular season. So it is also the first time in 6 years that I have been around when Susan began a new year of participation in BSF. And, as of about Monday afternoon, I have resumed my efforts to invent alternative correspondents for this acronym. As a 24 year-old man, I am absurdly more mature than I was as a teen, and I think my latest batch of alternatives reflects this fact. Here's what I have so far:

Blonde Strippers' Fair
Black Satin Fedora (although a fedora is, by definition, made of felt)


...and my personal favorite...



Blind Squirrel Farmers

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now did you find that pic and try to fit an entry around it or did you have the blog thoughts in mind and find the pic as a finale to the message?

Either way, funny stuff.

Dave Scott said...

I came up with Blind Squirrel Farmers yesterday. When I decided this afternoon that I was going to put this post together, I did a Google image search for "blind squirrel."

Unfortunately, I don't know that the rodent now pictured on my blog is actually blind. What I do know is that it's a flying squirrel, and that's probably why its eyes look so crazy as compared to your garden variety, day-loving squirrel.

Anonymous said...

It's been in squirrel prison and it just so happens that squirrel prison is completely dark. So this particular squirrel...let's call her Kerosene...buffed her eyes (with some help from a fellow squirrel, of course) so that she could see in the dark.

Anonymous said...

my personal fav is butt smells funny.