Thursday, December 14, 2006

In Receiving Mode

I'm very low on output these days.

That's not to say I've been especially lazy or inactive in recent weeks. I just find myself more inclined toward reception, consumption, and digestion than I am creation, production, or construction.

My blog testifies to this fact. Other than a short run of daily activity at the end of last week, the kingdom has been relatively quiet in the past month. I simply haven't had as much to share. It's not that I've ceased thinking "share worthy" thoughts or lost passion for the usual hobbies and interests I tend to ramble on about. I simply haven't felt compelled to log on and post those things. I'm confident this is a spell and I'll move out of it sooner than later.

That all being said, I'm going to resume the model of sharing a few random thoughts to keep you at least a smidge up-to-date on what's been happening in my interior and exterior life.

1) What's Wrong with the World? This is the name of my buddy's new blog. Those of you who read the comments on my blog may have noticed the username "Indy Rider" before. This handle belongs to Mr. Nick Tranbarger, one of my dearest friends in the world. It appears that his blog will serve as a message board of sorts where Nick will regularly prompt us to approach the title question from various different directions. After I publish this post, I will add his blog to my links. So, please, check it out.

2) Ph.D. applications. I really need to start finishing these things up. I finally narrowed my list down to two candidates: the Graduate Departement of Religion at Vanderbilt University and a joint doctoral program offered by the University of Denver and the Iliff School of Theology. I spent a sizeable chunk of the weekend trying to decide on a third and final school to pursue, but couldn't decide on one I was genuinely interested in. I need to push myself out of receiving mode because I need to right a statement of purpose for these applications quite soon. I just find it highly intimidating to write a short essay about where I think I'm going in my education and, eventually, my career.

3) The UFC is adding some big time talent. If the reports are true, "Rampage" Jackson and Mirko "Cro Cop" are both going to be signed to the UFC roster very, very soon. That would be like the Colts signing Ray Lewis and Troy Polamalu at the same time, if not better. These are exciting times for the MMA fan, and things keep getting more and more intriguing.

TTFN, MF!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a couple more "new" champions are headed the UFC's way. Those signings would definitely shake up the landscape a bit. I think it could be an underground takeover attempt by Pride. They are going to let the UFC sign some good guys. Their good guys will win all the UFC's titles, then they will bolt back to Pride and be considered the true Champions of the World. That sounded a bit cynnical I do suppose.

Thanks for the pub on your blog. I finally found a title/topic that stuck in my mind.

Beth said...

Receiver mode, indeed. You didn't even comment about my Ninja Monkey/5 Year Old Girl Who Saves the World by Laughing story.

Good luck with the PhD apps. You are brilliant and they would be lucky to have you.