Saturday, April 28, 2007

A Grab Bag of Little Reflections

+ Work's been easy as of late. Easy to the point that I think I'm getting spoiled. After I finish my assignment for Monday, I will have gone the entire month of April without working a single day where a) I and I alone was in charge of b) one classroom full of students for c) an entire day. The next day all three of these conditions are satisfied by one assignment I may very well crumble to the floor in a moment of overwhelmedness and assume the fetal position.

+ On Tuesday, I contacted the University of Denver/Iliff School of Theology to confirm officially that I will be joining their program in the fall. Now I need to start making arrangements for where in the Denver area I'm going to live. The phone conversation I had with an admissions rep on Tuesday made me aware of the fact that Iliff has its own equivalent to Turner Village- the apartment complex for seminary students at Emory (which, sadly, is about to be torn down [cue single tear]).

I'm thinking I'll adopt the strategy that worked out for me in Atlanta- be placed with a roommate in a student apartment for the first year and find superior living arrangments for the subsequent years once I make new friends and better acquaint myself with other possible living situations. I wonder if the roommate I may have in the campus apartment will clear his throat or giggle his balls as often as the one I had in Atlanta. (My Candler friends had to know that joke was coming.)


+I'm absolutely loving my new stereo. This mini-HiFi system is far and away the best quality sound system I've ever owned.

Jesus once said to his disciples, "Behold, I make all things new." What I think he meant by that was not that he was regenerating everything and everyone around him (not at that point in history anyway) but rather that the revelation he ushered in causes its recipients to see the already existing world in a new, and ostensibly improved, way.

To draw a secular parallel on a more mundane level, my stereo has made all the music I own seem new. For the last two weeks, I've been rediscovering the beauty and craftsmanship present with scores of albums covering numerous genres and styles. This situation became especially wonderful after I bought the cable necessary to hook my laptop up to my stereo. Now I can conveniently access any song from 9.5 days worth of music and play it through some top notch speakers. Sounding especially good on my system are the albums
Chrome by Catherine Wheel, Thirteenth Step by A Perfect Circle, and The Proposition soundtrack I recently purchased.

+ One of the staff writers for the UFC's webpage wrote an impressively concise yet comprehensive meditation on who the greatest UFC fighter of all time may be. It's definitely worth a read.

http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=news.detail&gid=5628

+ Perhaps this last bit will be T.M.I. for some of you but the idea amuses me too much not to mention:

On Sunday, April 29th (which is tomorrow), it will have been 12 months since the last day I had any "intimate time" with a ladyfriend. That fact inspires me to ask the question...After a full calendar year of such inactivy, will I automatically revert back to being asexual?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bonus points for listing Chrome. I would be surprised if Adam and Eve didn't improve a great deal as well. That's an album that always surprised me on a great system.

Beth said...

Oh, Dave Scott.
You are funny.
I think maybe you meant that MG "jiggled" rather than "giggled," but regardless it made me laugh a lot.

Also, I enjoyed your 3 consecutive comments on my blog post about Prom.

Miss you.

I've never been to Denver. Looking forward to visiting you sometime. (See how I just invited myself to your future home?)

Rock on.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the points, Mark. I was just discussing with Aaron last week that Chrome is almost certainly my favorite Catherine Wheel Album. "Pain" is my favorite song off of it, and the 1-2 Punch of "Ursa Major Space Station" and "Fripp" is (as you would say) quality.


Beth,

Wherever I may live in Denver, you are certainly welcome to visit me there.

As for Mr. G "giggling" his balls, that is indeed a typo. Another typo popped up when I wrote that I might "crumble" to the ground; that should have said "crumple." It would be strange indeed to see the crumbled remains of a human body assume the fetal position.

As you well know, my consecutive posts on your blog were also a product of my sub-par proofreading skills. I'll need to eradicate this problem by September. :)

-Dave Scott