Thursday, August 16, 2007

Back Online

Hello Everyone!

I'm happy to announce that I got my computer back from the Geek Squad yesterday afternoon. Now I once again have daily access to cyberspace. I want to extend a thank you to the Tranbargers, my grandpa, and the Indianapolis Reisses for letting me use their computers while I was bereft of my laptop over the past two weeks. Their collective generosity kept me from jonesing for the Internet too badly during that period of separation.

To give you an update on what I've been up to since I last blogged, I've mostly been making arrangements to make my move to Denver. After reseraching several moving options, I decided against hiring a moving service or even renting a truck. I've decided to pack whatever "essential" possessions I have into my Honda, drive out to the Mile High City, and simply buy all-new furniture once I arrive. A scouting trip to Target and other such retailers revealed that this plan of action would be no more expensive than renting a truck and trailing my car. AND I'll be spending that considerable chunk of cash on things I'll get to keep for an extended period of time, rather than on rentals I'll have to return once my move is complete.

As for the date of my departure, I will be leaving Indianapolis on Friday, August 31st. Mapquest tells me that the journey from Indy to Denver will take 16 hours, 11 minutes which, I must admit, is a longer trek than I'm manly enough to make in a straight shot. Using the combined powers of Mapquest and a recently acquired road atlas, I discovered that Salina, Kansas is precisely ten hours from my house in Indiana, and I plan on stopping there for some R&R. The next morning I will drive the remaining 6.25 hours into Denver, check into my empty apartment, and start filling the place up with stuff. Orientation is on September 7th, so I'll have the 2nd-6th to get settled in, let my body adjust to the altitude and maybe explore the city a little.

I'm trying to get as many preparations finalized now as I possibly can. Doing so goes along way toward alleviating any anxiety I may have about moving. My apartment is set, my hotel reservation is made, and 70% of what's I'm taking with me is already packed up. What's left to deal with at this point is that I'm having a little work done on my car (mainly recharging the A/C) tomorrow, there's still some small things to work out where my financial aid is concerned, and I'm still pessimistic about how much stuff I can actually fit in the Honda. However, all the big stuff is under control and that's allowing me to be more excited about relocating myself then nervous.

Now I just want to enjoy my last two weeks at home before I head 1,100 miles west for the next several years.

2 comments:

Erin said...

welcome back. shopping for a new place is fun; I think you made a good choice.

now come see me! :)

Beth said...

You could also mail stuff to yourself if there's too much to fit in the car.